The degree can be completed in a minimum of three quarters, should be completed within five full-time quarters, and must be completed within six full-time quarters to maintain satisfactory progress.
Forty (40) credit hours in graded graduate courses are required for the MA degree, including:
- English 506: Modern and Contemporary Critical Theory (5 credits)
- English 590: Master's Essay (5 credits).
Students electing to take a terminal master's degree may substitute five (5) graduate seminar credits for the Master's Essay. If they subsequently decide to continue toward the Ph.D., they must complete the Master's Essay.
- 500- & 600-level graded English graduate courses
- Credit for courses taken outside of the department require approval by the Director of Graduate Studies.
- Students may petition the Director of Graduate Studies to transfer up to five (5) credits taken as a graduate student at another institution.
- 100- through 400- level courses
- Creative writing workshops