UWHS English Policies
Over the years, we have instituted a number of policies specific to the UWHS English program. These policies do not apply to all courses offered through the UW in the High School program, but have been agreed upon by Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) and the Expository Writing Program (EWP) as necessary to maintain the integrity of the English department curriculum as it is implemented in area high schools.
- New teachers must attend relevant orientations before teaching a UWHS English class or attend a make-up session offered by one of the English department liaisons for which they will be compensated over and above usual pay.
- Returning teachers must attend one UWHS English event (an orientation or norming session) for every two years they have taught English 131 and/or English 111.
- New teachers must attend a UWHS English norming session within the first two years of teaching English 131.
- If a teacher has not taught UWHS English for two or more years, he or she must attend the UWHS English 131 orientation before resuming teaching UWHS English 131 or 111.
- Starting Fall 2016, English 131 and 111 may no longer be co-offered with another "College in the High School" program or with AP courses. For more information, click here.
EWP POLICY STATEMENT ON ELL SUPPORT:
Below is a link to the official Expository Writing Program statement on the treatment of English language learners in the composition classroom. This statement was the product of a 2011-12 subcommittee within the EWP staff on ELL students in the composition classroom. If you have any questions or concerns or would like to discuss the issue further, please contact one of the liaisons and we will put you in touch with a subcommittee member. You may also directly contact Elizabeth Simmons-O'Neill, the Expository Writing Program's ELL Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.