Autumn 2010 through Spring 2012
For students who declared the English major between Autumn 2010 and Spring 2012.
Students who declared the English major before Autumn 2010 or after Spring 2012 must follow appropriate requirements in effect at the time the major was declared or current requirements (Autumn 2013 and forward). If you declared the English major before Autumn 2005, please consult an English adviser.
A minimum of 55 credits in English courses:
ENGL 301 (Introduction to English Language and Literature) and writing link ENGL 297 (Writing in the Humanities): 10 credits
Minimum grades of 2.0 required in both courses.
(These courses are renumbered versions of ENGL 202 and 197 beginning Autumn 2010, but the content remains the same. If you took ENGL 202 and 197, you can use these as prerequisites when you apply to the English major, and you can use them toward the major in place of the new course numbers, ENGL 301 and 297.)
ENGL 302 (Critical Practice): 5 credits
Minimum grade of 2.0 required.
English Core: 25 credits
At least 5 credits from each of the three categories below.
- Theories and Methodologies of Language and Literature
- Forms and Genres of Language and Literature
- Histories of Language and Literature
English Electives: 10 credits
(Excluded courses are ENGL 285, Writers on Writing; ENGL 297, 298, and 299 Interdisciplinary Writing courses; ENGL 491, Internships; and ENGL 474-476, courses associated with the Puget Sound Writing Project; these cannot be counted toward the English major)
English Senior Capstone course: 5 credits
Minimum grade of 2.0 required.
One course from the following list:
- ENGL 407 (Special Topics in Cultural Studies)
- ENGL 430 (British Writers: Studies in Major Authors)
- ENGL 431 (Topics in British Literature)
- ENGL 440 (Special Studies in Literature)
- ENGL 442 (The Novel: Special Studies)
- ENGL 443 (Poetry: Special Studies)
- ENGL 444 (Dramatic Literature: Special Studies)
- ENGL 451 (American Writers: Studies in Major Authors)
- ENGL 452 (Topics in American Literature)
- ENGL 473 (Current Development in English Studies)
- ENGL 496 (English Honors Thesis) - available to English Honors Program students only
- ENGL 498 (Senior Seminar)
At least 15 credits in ENGL courses must be focused on pre-1900 literature taught by the English Department. (These pre-1900 literature credits may overlap with other English major requirements.)
Limit on 200-level ENGL credit:
no more than 20 credits in 200-level ENGL courses (including ENGL 297) may be applied toward the English major: all other English credits must be taken at the 300 or 400 level.
Limit on Creative Writing courses:
no more than 5 credits in creative writing courses may be applied to the Language & Literature English major. Students who have been accepted by the competitive admission process to the English: Creative Writing option follow different requirements.
Grades and GPA Requirements:
ENGL 301, 297, 302, and the Senior Capstone require minimum grades of 2.0 in each course. English majors must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.00 in all UW ENGL courses.
At least 25 ENGL credits applicable to the English major must be taken in residence at the UW Seattle.
The department also strongly recommends, but does not require, 5 credits in one of the following English language courses:
- ENGL 370 (English Language Study)
- ENGL 371 (English Syntax)
- ENGL 373 (History of the English Language)
- ENGL 374 (The Language of Literature)
- ENGL 478 (Language and Social Policy)
- ENGL 479 (Language Variation and Policy in North America)
- LING 200 (Introduction to Linguistic Thought) -- through Department of Linguistics
For assistance with planning and for questions, please consult English Undergraduate Advising.
Department of English Admission and Continuation Policy (PDF) (rules for satisfactory progress)