The UW Department of English graduate programs value diverse forms of intellectual inquiry and nurture engaged citizen-scholars. We offer a combined MA/Ph.D. in language and literature in addition to MFA and MATESOL degrees. Students may also pursue graduate certificates in areas including public scholarship and textual and digital studies. Our department is closely affiliated with programs in American Ethnic Studies, and Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies, and we encourage interdisciplinary work. On top of our extensive campus resources, Seattle and the Puget Sound region offer our graduate students a wealth of cultural, intellectual, and professional resources.
Juliet Shields, Director
What programs do we offer?
Three degree options:
- MA / Ph.D. in English Language and Literature
- MFA - Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- MATESOL - Master of Arts for Teachers (of English to Speakers of Other Languages)
How do you apply to an English graduate program?
- Explore our How to Apply and Application Materials pages
- Be aware of application deadlines
- Prospective Graduate Students FAQ