All applicants must meet the UW Graduate School’s minimum admissions requirements of:
- Equivalent of a four-year Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- 3.0 GPA in last 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits
- Proof of English language proficiency (non-native English speakers only)
- IELTS is no longer accepted by the UW Graduate School. Please refer to Memo 8: Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements for information on minimum admission requirements.
International applicants should review the UW Graduate School's International Applicant Information.
Program specific application requirements can be found at the links below:
- MA/PhD in English Language and Literature Checklist
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (MFA) Checklist
- Master of Arts for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL) Checklist
*Effective the Autumn 2021 admissions cycle, GRE General Test scores are no longer required for all English Graduate programs.
The Department of English admits new graduate students for autumn quarter only. We do not do rolling admissions. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the Department of English receives all application materials by the deadline. We encourage applicants to submit materials early.
- MA/PhD applications are due December 15
- MFA applications are due January 2
- MATESOL applications are due January 15
Applicants may wish to visit Student Financial Aid for information on deadlines for need-based aid.