Minimum Application Requirements
All applicants must meet the UW Graduate School’s minimum admissions requirements of:
- Equivalent of a four-year Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- 3.0 GPA in last 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits
- Proof of English language proficiency (non-native English speakers only)
International applicants should review the UW Graduate School's International Applicant Information.
Application Checklists and FAQs
Program specific application requirements and answers to frequently asked questions can be found at the links below:
*Effective the Autumn 2021 admissions cycle, GRE General Test scores are no longer required for all English Graduate programs.
The Department of English admits new graduate students for Autumn Quarter only. We do not do rolling admissions. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the Department of English receives all application materials by the deadline. We encourage applicants to submit materials early.
- MA/PhD applications are due December 1.
- MFA applications are due January 2.
- MATESOL applications are due January 15.
If the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then the deadline is the following Monday.
Applicants may wish to visit Student Financial Aid for information on deadlines for need-based aid.