English Department Application Requirements
Program specfic application requirements can be found at the links below:
Graduate School Requirements
All applicants must meet the UW Graduate School’s minimum admissions requirements of:
- Equivalent of a four-year Bachelor’s degree or Master's degree
- 3.0 GPA
- Proof of English language proficiency (non-native English speakers only)
More information about the Graduate School's requirements can be found here.
International applicants should review the UW Graduate School's International Applicant Information.
The Department of English admits new graduate students for autumn quarter only. We do not do rolling admissions. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the Department of English receives all application materials by the deadline. We encourage applicants to submit materials early.
- MA/PhD applications are due December 15
- MFA applications are due January 2
- MATESOL applications are due January 15 (MATESOL has a second application deadline of April 1st. However, most of the available openings are awarded in the first round of application review. Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by the January 15th deadline).
Applicants may wish to visit Student Financial Aid for information on deadlines for need-based aid.