Effective Autumn 2013 through Summer 2015. If you declared your English major prior to Autumn 2013, please see the older requirement sets pertaining to the quarter and year when you became an English major officially. If you are not yet an English major and are planning to declare the major in Autumn 2015 or later, please follow the current requirements.
A minimum of 55 credits in English courses:
ENGL 301 (Introduction to English Language and Literature) and writing link ENGL 297 (Writing in the Humanities): 10 credits
Minimum grades of 2.0 required in both courses.
ENGL 302 (Critical Practice): 5 credits
Minimum grade of 2.0 required. Must be taken within two quarters of declaring the English major per department continuation/satisfactory progress policy.
English Distribution: 15 credits
Five credits from each of the three distribution categories below.
- Theories and Methodologies of Language and Literature
- Forms and Genres of Language and Literature
- Histories of Language and Literature
English Electives: 20 credits
(Excluded courses are ENGL 285, Writers on Writing; ENGL 297, 298, and 299 Interdisciplinary Writing courses; ENGL 491, Internships; and ENGL 474-476, courses associated with the Puget Sound Writing Project; these cannot be counted toward the English major Distribution or Electives requirement.)
English Senior Capstone course: 5 credits
Minimum grade of 2.0 required. To be taken during the final two quarters in the major, after successful completion of ENGL 302.
One course chosen from the capstone list:
- ENGL 407 (Special Topics in Cultural Studies)
- ENGL 430 (British Writers: Studies in Major Authors)
- ENGL 431 (Topics in British Literature)
- ENGL 440 (Special Studies in Literature)
- ENGL 442 (The Novel: Special Studies)
- ENGL 443 (Poetry: Special Studies)
- ENGL 444 (Dramatic Literature: Special Studies)
- ENGL 451 (American Writers: Studies in Major Authors)
- ENGL 452 (Topics in American Literature)
- ENGL 473 (Current Development in English Studies)
- ENGL 496 (English Honors Thesis) - available to English Honors Program students only
- ENGL 498 (Senior Seminar)
At least 15 credits in ENGL courses must be focused on pre-1900 literature taught by the English Department. (These pre-1900 literature credits may overlap with other English major requirements.)
Limit on 200-level ENGL credit:
No more than 15 credits in 200-level ENGL courses (including ENGL 297) may be applied toward the English major: all other English credits must be taken at the 300 or 400 level.
Limit on Creative Writing courses:
No more than 5 credits in creative writing courses may be applied to the Language & Literature English major. Students who have been accepted by the competitive admission process to the English: Creative Writing option follow different requirements.
Grades and GPA Requirements:
ENGL 301, 297, 302, and the Senior Capstone require minimum grades of 2.0 in each course. English majors must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.00 in all UW ENGL courses.
At least 25 ENGL credits applicable to the English major must be taken in residence at the UW Seattle.
The department also strongly recommends, but does not require, 5 credits in one of the following English language courses:
- ENGL 370 (English Language Study)
- ENGL 371 (English Syntax)
- ENGL 373 (History of the English Language)
- ENGL 374 (The Language of Literature)
- ENGL 478 (Language and Social Policy)
- ENGL 479 (Language Variation and Policy in North America)
- LING 200 (Introduction to Linguistic Thought) -- through Department of Linguistics
For assistance with planning and for questions, please consult English Undergraduate Advising.
Department of English Admission and Continuation Policy (rules for satisfactory progress)