For students who entered the English major in Spring 2012 and earlier.
If you entered the English major in Autumn 2012 or later, please see the Autumn-2012 requirement set.
The English Major Core requirement within the English major draws courses from among three groups, Theories and Methodologies of Language and Literature (below), Forms and Genres of Language and Literature, and Histories of Language and Literature.
Theories and Methodologies of English Language and Literature
These courses focus on introducing and developing knowledge of a range of recognized theoretical approaches or philosophical developments that have influenced the study or understanding of literature, language, and culture. They may often include discussion of historical or social issues, but those issues are principally explored in the interest of illuminating the development of important theoretical fields or ideas. The aim of these courses is to refine understanding of a particular theory of or approach to literature or language.
Course list for students who entered the major in Spring 2012 and earlier:
- ENGL 205 (Method Imagination and Inquiry)
- ENGL 207 (Introduction to Cultural Studies)
- ENGL 270 (The Uses of the English Language)
- ENGL 300 (Reading Major Texts)
- ENGL 303 (History of Literary Criticism and Theory I)
- ENGL 304 (History of Literary Criticism and Theory II)
- ENGL 306 (Introduction to Rhetoric)
- ENGL 305 (Theories of the Imagination)
- ENGL 307 (Cultural Studies: Literature and the Age)
- ENGL 308 (Marxism and Literary Theory)
- ENGL 309 (Theories of Reading)
- ENGL 363 (Literature and the Other Arts and Disciplines)
- ENGL 364 (Literature and Medicine)
- ENGL 367 (Gender Studies in Literature)
- ENGL 370 (English Language Study)
- ENGL 371 (English Syntax)
- ENGL 372 (World Englishes)
- ENGL 374 (The Language of Literature)
- ENGL 407 (Special Topics in Cultural Studies)
- ENGL 440 (Special Studies in Literature)
- ENGL 466 (Gay and Lesbian Studies)
- ENGL 470 (Theory and Practice of Teaching Literature)
- ENGL 471 (Theory and Practice of Teaching Writing)
- ENGL 472 (Language Learning)
- ENGL 473 (Current Developments in English Studies)
- ENGL 478 (Language and Social Policy)
- ENGL 479 (Language Variation and Language Policy in North America)