You are here

Teaching Candidates Applying to UW's Teacher Education Program (TEP)

The UW Teacher Education Program through the College of Education is a Master in Teaching (M.I.T.) degree program resulting in a Washington residency teaching certificate for elementary or secondary (specific subject) school teaching.

If you'd like some more basic information about obtaining teacher certification in Washington, please click here.

Candidates to UW Seattle's Teacher Education Program for secondary education certification who seek an English Language Arts secondary teaching endorsement should arrange to have their undergraduate course work evaluated by a UW Humanities adviser ( but only if they are UW students. If you are an outside candidate, you need to contact Michael Nielsen (

Once you have completed all course work for the endorsement, a UW Humanities adviser must sign the Endorsement Evaluation that accompanies your application to the Teacher Education Program (TEP).

The UW Seattle Teacher Education Program holds information sessions, which you are strongly encouraged to attend, and for which you can register on the web. For more information, contact or visit the Teacher Education Program web site.

To request an evaluation of your endorsement course work, please follow these steps:

If you are currently a UW undergraduate student, you can make an  appointment with undergraduate adviser in the  Humanities Center at

1. Gather transcripts from each college or university you attended. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable, though we may, at some point in the process, ask you to provide official, sealed transcripts for verification purposes.);

2. Gather catalog course descriptions for all courses that may meet endorsement requirements (it is acceptable to submit descriptions from the institution's general course catalog or website if you do not have more detailed information);

3. If a course's title does not make its content clear (e.g., "Shakespeare's Major Tragedies" is clear, whereas "Literature Seminar" is not specific enough), please gather syllabi, lecture schedules, or other detailed material to assist advisers in evaluating the specific content of English courses;

4. Compare the courses you've taken with the UW's required endorsement coursework in English Language Arts.

5. Prepare a cover letter that states your intent and provides us with contact information for you (e-mail, phone, mailing address);

6. Submit the materials above to the Humanities Academic Services Center (HAS) in person or by e-mail:

Submit in person:

Bring materials to A-2-B Padelford Hall. (Click here to view Padelford Hall on a UW campus map.) Enter Padelford from the southernmost front entrance, closest to Hall Health or the HUB. Go down two floors below Floor One to the Plaza Level (PL in the elevator or stairwell) and turn to your right for the entrance to A-2-B.

For hours, visit the HAS website.

Submit by e-mail:

Send your materials in PDF format (please, no imaging or html files, as they can be difficult for us to read and print) to