The June Yeakel Barnes and Robert Hardy Barnes "Wings to London" Scholarship
(Application Deadline is Thursday February 13, 2020 for the Spring 2020 London Program)
English Department scholarships are available for declared English majors only.
Thanks to the generosity of donors June Yeakel Barnes, Robert Hardy Barnes, and their children, the English Department’s Spring in London Program will be awarding scholarships of $200 and up to declared English Majors participating in the Spring Quarter London Program (see “Eligibility Requirements” below). Recipients are encouraged to apply their awards towards airfare, one of the few expenses not covered by the Spring in London program fee. To learn more about our donors, please read this article in the 2014 issue of English Matters.
- You must be a confirmed participant (payment contract submitted) in the Spring in London Program for 2020. (This scholarship is not available for the Summer Program.)
- You must be a declared English major in good academic standing (not on academic probation or drop status) at the University of Washington. (Must be declared or ready to declare on or before the due date of this application.)
- Completed Application Form (contact Mary Malevitsis to request one)
- Essay: Write a 700 word essay in response to the following two questions:
- How do you see the Spring in London Program enriching your English studies at the University of Washington?
- This award is intended to help those who have financial challenges; in the context of your current financial constraints, how will this award make a difference? (All responses will be confidential, read only by the application committee.)
Recipients are not required to use scholarship funds for airfare. They may be used to cover other travel or program expenses.
Should a student withdraw from the program, the award must be returned to the Department of English.
The UW Department of English’s Spring in London Program is open to students from all majors. However, these funds come from an English Department donor and can only be awarded to declared English majors (see eligibility criteria above).