The requirements for the Master of Arts for Teachers (English as a Second Language) degree include at least 49 credits of coursework, and intermediate-level competence in a language other than English. The degree can be completed within six full-time quarters, and completion within eight full-time quarters (or their part-time equivalent) is acceptable for satisfactory progress.
Because Linguistics 400 (Survey of Linguistic Method and Theory) is a prerequisite for syntax and phonology courses, MAT(ESOL) students should complete the course or its equivalent as soon as possible. Credit for the class does not count toward the MAT(ESOL) degree.
The MAT(ESOL) program is designed to provide each candidate with theoretical background in linguistics and second-language acquisition, opportunities to apply theory to second-language learning settings, and a background in the target language, e.g., in English grammar. A grade of 3.0 or above must be earned in each course applying toward the MAT(ESOL) degree. The required total of at least 49 credits must include the following:
- ENGL 571, 572, 574, 575 (or LING 461), 576; LING 550 (or SpHSci 302)
- 3 courses (at least 12 credits) from ENGL 471, 478, 479, 560, 562, 564, 567, 569, 578; LING 432, LING 433/ANTH 433, LING 457/PSYCH 457, LING 451, 452, 462, 532, LING 464/ANTH 464, EDC&I 537, 540, 547, 453, 545, 458, 528
- 1 elective (Any course 400-level or above in English, Anthropology, or Linguistics, including those listed above, or any foreign language course not used to fulfill the language requirement may fulfill the elective requirement. An elective may also be approved from related courses in other fields.)
- ENGL 570 (Practicum in TESL). The Practicum involves supervised teaching and seminar attendance. The instructional experience may be gained in a variety of settings. Most often students electing the Practicum for the first time will become Student Teachers at the ESL Center. Students who are granted Teaching Assistantships should elect the Practicum during their first quarter as a T.A. The normal requirement for ENGL 570 is two quarters, three credits each quarter. Students with substantial ESL teaching experience may petition for exemption from three units of the Practicum. When such petitions are approved, the total number of credits for the program is reduced.
A student who has not fulfilled the language requirement at the time of admission should do so as early as possible. The requirement can be satisfied in two ways:
- by completing the second-year coursework (or its equivalent) of a language other than English with a grade of 3.0 or higher; the requirement may be met by a course taken no earlier than three years before entering Graduate School at the University of Washington. (The English Graduate Office can supply information about University of Washington courses that will satisfy this requirement);
- by obtaining a score of 470 or better on the Graduate Foreign Language Exam (GFLE).
Students in the MAT(ESOL) program are advised by the MAT(ESOL) Adviser, with whom they should meet before registering for first-quarter courses. The Adviser will review degree requirements and assist in the choice of coursework. Throughout the student's program, the Adviser will continue to provide advice on matters of scholarship and professional preparation and in planning further coursework.
Applying for the Degree
A student applying for the Master of Arts for Teachers (of English to Speakers of Other Languages) degree must submit that application to the Graduate School within the first two weeks of the quarter in which the degree is to be conferred and must be registered during that quarter.